This week I finished nitrogen seeding the straw bales. Temperature is a toasty 95F, compared to 50F for my large raised beds and 45F for my ground soil. I’ll have to wait till they get back to around 75F before I can put my tomatoes in them.
This week I started my second attempt in 10 years using straw bales. Last time I bought a load of bales & went for it using some fertilizers & water. Wasn't very successful. Recently I listened to some podcasts & read a useful description on the milorganite website.
Monday I got 5 bales (more manageable + the price has gone up a lot), put 3 cups of milorganite in each bale, watered & covered them in black plastic (to help any weed sprouting). So far, so good.